BLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Valentine's Day Prep & Donut Cookies

 
My mind is seriously blown that it's already February 3rd. Weren't we just ringing in the New Year?
Not complaining though, because this is one of my favorite months. Sure, it's dreary and cold and yucky outside for the most part. But it's also the month that I actually get to decorate with and enjoy the color PINK! Living with two boys, that doesn't happen too often. I embrace it while I can. :)
 
 
I didn't do much decorating inside this year, but I did draw on a chalkboard "wreath" for our front door (chalkboard tutorial somewhere in the archives!).
 
Pretty sure I already posted this picture, but in case you missed it, these are Bear's homemade Valentine's for our party on the 14th. The heart mazes can be found at Michael's.
 
These "pink ladies" were really easy to make and a huge hit with the kids at the play date we took them to. Just take pink wafers, dip them in white almond bark, and stick on candy lips (found at HEB) before chocolate dries. After dry, draw on eyes with black gel icing. So easy and fun! Bear did a few with sprinkles only, which still tasted good. :)
 
We also made donut cookies for a play date we didn't end up going to because Bear is battling yet another cold :(. Praying he feels like himself soon, it's been a rough month and a half of on and off sickness for the little guy.
Betty Crocker donut mix found here (we snagged it at Dollar Tree last week!). This mix is so yummy, they really do taste like donuts!
 
I've been trying to tweak my cookie icing recipe for some time, with quite a few failed attempts along the way. This time was the best result I've gotten so far, so I thought I'd share the recipe. If you have any tips on the perfect icing, I'd love to hear!
 
Donut Cookie Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
 
In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If the consistency is too thick, add small amounts of corn syrup until icing is smooth.
For pink frosting, add 4 drops of red food coloring and stir until blended.
*yields icing for 2 dozen 3 inch cookies
 

Hope you're having the sweetest week!


1 comment:

Thank you for leaving some love!