BLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Losing the Baby Weight

Let me preface by saying I, by no means, have the "perfect post-baby body". No way! I wish. But I have gotten several emails from readers asking how I got back to my pre-Bear weight and I'm always interested in reading how other women shed the baby lb's. It seems all moms have different opinions on the subject and unique ways of getting back in shape so I want to share with you all what's worked for me.

 
3-4 days before finding out we were expecting...
 
11 days after Bear's birth...
 
I'm a firm believer now more than ever that when it comes to getting back to your pre-preggo size, it's not what you do after giving birth but rather while being pregnant. From day 1 until the day before going into labor, I walked 2-5 miles every single day (with the exception of a few due to bad weather). Towards the end it was more of a waddle than a walk, but I still did it. Honestly my intention wasn't to avoid gaining too much weight; my doctor told me early on that walking throughout pregnancy would ensure shorter, easier labor. That's all she had to say. I was lacing up the ol' tennis shoes every day with that piece of motivation...until the end, then Z had to lace them up for me. Other benefits of walking during pregnancy:
 
-It keeps your heart strong and your muscles toned. "A stronger mom will have an easier time meeting the demands of motherhood," says Neporent, an exercise physiologist, personal trainer, and author of Fitness Walking for Dummies.
 
-It burns calories, which helps prevent excess weight gain.

-It keeps blood pressure down.
 
-It keeps your body fit, which offers protection from gestational diabetes and preeclampsia.
 
-You'll have an easier time exercising after you have the baby, "because you'll already have an exercise routine in place," says Rocker, a personal trainer and fitness expert based in Los Angeles, who specializes in walking workouts.
 
-It eases constipation. (this is more important than you think!)
 
-Anyone can do it, "and it's something you can do just for yourself before you have to focus on your baby," Neporent says.
(resource: parents.com)
 
 
The day before our due date, I walked 9 1/2 miles. Yes, you read that correctly. I am a crazy person. Don't worry, it wasn't all at once; I walked 3 different times that day with the hopes of getting Mr. Bear down and out. And guess what? It worked! 15 hours after my last walk, I experienced my first contraction and early labor began. Bear was born the day after his due date. I could honestly feel him dropping lower and lower throughout the day I walked so much; it was pretty wild. There's no opposing gravity! That stuff is for real.
 
 
 After giving birth, I couldn't walk (or do much of anything) for the entire first month due to an episiotomy and slow recovery...down there. It was frustrating but also a blessing because it allowed me lots of couch/cuddle time with our sweet newborn son. Even without exercising, less than 2 weeks after having Bear I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight. Some might credit this to nursing, but I truly believe it was all the walking done during those long 9 months. I gained 23 pounds the entire pregnancy and was surprised at how quickly they were gone. We learned in our birthing class that most of the weight gained during pregnancy is due to:
-water
-extra blood
-baby (duh)
-placenta
 
So don't fret, expecting mommas! That weight is being put on for good reason and baby needs you to gain in order to keep her/him healthy.
 
*I also should add that I was really, really sick during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. It was bad. There were a lot of naps being taken and mornings/afternoons/nights spent hugging the toilet, so I literally had to force myself to get out and walk. Some of those days it wasn't much, and I took it very slow, but I still tried to get out and get a little fresh air when I felt like it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On diet during pregnancy:
 No real helpful tips here because I simply ate what I wanted while pregnant. For about the last month and a half, I had a pumpkin pie milkshake from Jack in the Box every single day. Without fail. Granted I didn't go crazy eating everything in sight, but if I wanted something, I let myself have it. I didn't notice a real increase in appetite until the last 5-6 weeks and definitely consumed more calories during that time. Bear was growing! He came out a chubby, healthy boy weighing 8 lb. 4 oz. and was 21 3/4 in. long.

 
On nursing and weight loss:
 Call me crazy, and some of you will disagree, but I honestly don't think nursing has helped me lose baby weight, or any weight for that matter. I have exclusively breastfed for the last 3 months and while I'm aware of the immense benefits, I don't believe weight loss for mom is one of them. Actually, I find myself hungrier, much hungrier, now than I ever was while pregnant. I'm eating a ton! So just because I'm burning extra calories due to nursing (around 500 a day), I'm more than making up for it with cherry pie and Frosted Flakes. So yes, I'm burning extra calories, but I'm eating to compensate. Breastfeeding has encouraged me to drink more water, which I'm thankful for.
 
 
Fitness routine post-pregnancy:
I took my first walk, with Bear in his stroller, the day he turned 1 month old. My body wouldn't have allowed for anything sooner; recovering from labor was rough! We walked 1 mile that day, and for the first 2 weeks continued to add a little more distance each day. Bear is now 3 months old and I walk 2-3 miles a day. Usually Bear and I take one walk in the afternoon (1-2 miles) and then I walk later in the evening (2 miles) while Zach gets some one on one Bear time. As much as I love being with and holding our son all day, it's also good for me to get out of the house and enjoy some fresh air. I never run (because of bad knees and, well, running sucks), but walking reaps both physical and mental benefits as well.
 
 
I hope I've answered some of your questions from previous posts; please, please feel free to email any other baby/momma questions you might have. I'm no expert but I do love discussing all things baby! Hope you're having a wonderful week...happy hump day!
 
 
 
 

20 comments:

  1. You look fab!!! Whatever you did definitely worked, I'll be sure to keep these tips in mind for the future :)

    Congrats again by the way on Mommy-hood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post and you look fantastic. After I had my son I was surprised by the changes in my body but isn't it fantastic having a little one?

    Red Soles and Red Wine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great you walked throughout your entire pregnancy. You look great post baby! Thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Love hearing how you were & are taking care of your body during this time. Can I mention your post on my blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great! It sounds like you basically took care of yourself, didn't pig out and kept up with physical activity. Maybe some good genetics too? My sister is still trying to lose her baby weight 2 years out and I know a lot of women in that situation but I know it doesn't HAVE to be that way and you confirm that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me about 8 months to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. For some reason at about 6 months the weight just started falling off. I was breastfeeding and was told it would come off so quick...every body is different, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brittany!!

    You look fab, are you kidding?! I'm loving that gorgeous peach color on you and especially with the stripes!! Love this.

    XO Jenna
    Demureindiamonds.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well as you know I'm not expecting nor do we plan to any time soon but I def. learned a lot from this post and will def. keep it in mind when our time does come. So from a non-expecting girl THANK YOU!!! Keep the Baby Post and Bear updates coming. Love reading about yall's journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire all the walking you did before, during, and after baby. During pregnancy I couldnt find any energy so I pretty much did the bare minimum walking to and from places I had to be. I dropped the weight after the baby within a week ( I gained 15lbs) but I think that has to do with genetics. I agree, breastfeeding makes me SOOOOO hungry so I doubt it has helped me. To me the biggest challenge wasnt dropping the weight but instead toning back up. Do you have suggestions for that?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well obviously whatever you're doing is working wonders because you look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great Mama! I admire your motivation to stay active and walk a lot. That is one this I wish I did more during my pregnancy. I gained 50+ pounds and I had a horrible delivery. Luckily, I bounced back quickly and dropped most of the weight already. Most of it was baby and water weight I think. Next time around I will definitely stay active.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are not expecting but have been talking about trying later this year. I loved your post, and all of the great information! Staying fit during pregnancy is definitely one of my concerns, and I loved reading about your experience with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what great tips. i am definitely scared of gaining a ton of weight if/when i get pregnant, and i'm glad to know exercise is encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello!
    After visiting your blog, I invite you to join us in the "International Directory Blogspot".
    "International Directory Blogspot" It's 165 Countries and 8790 Websites !
    Missing yours join us
    If you join us and follow our blog, you will have many more visitors.
    It's very simple, you just have to follow our blog, enter your Country and your blog url in a comment, and you will be automatically integrate into the Country list.
    We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world and to share different passions, fashion, paintings, art works, photos, poems.
    So you will be able to find in different countries other people with passions similar to your ones.
    I think this community could also interest you.
    We ask you to follow the blog "Directory" because it will give you twice as many possibilities of visits to your blog!
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Please follow our blog, it will be very appreciate.
    I wish you a great day, with the hope that you will follow our blog "Directory".
    After your approval to join us, you will receive your badge
    We ask that you follow our blog and place a badge of your choice on your blog, in order to introduce the "directory" to your friends.
    Regards
    Chris
    I follow your blog, I hope it will please you
    To find out more about us, click on the link below:
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/

    ♫♫.•*¨`*•..¸☼¸.•*¨`*•.♫♫♫
    ╔════════ ೋღღೋ ════════╗
    * ✿ ☼ Happy Valentine's day ☼ ✿ *
    ╚════════ ೋღღೋ ════════╝
    ♫♫.•*¨`*•..¸☼¸.•*¨`*•.♫♫♫

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know you walked so much! Now or when you were preggers. I guess I should know, every time we talk on the phone you are walking pretty much lol. I am thankful that you choose to spend that time talking to me sometimes! : ) You look beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is a lot of walking! good for you! and you do look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brittany, I loved this post! It had so much great information and helpful hints. I LOVE that you walked almost ten miles the day before you had Bear...that just is awesome. I'm big on keeping active (even when I'm not pregnant) and where I have no idea what my labor will be like, I can completely see where keepin' a move on during pregnancy can only help when it comes to GO time. I think I've been more active than ever since pregnant...lately, because of the nesting. I really admire your approach. It's great to hear your appetite increased during the last month...so many women have told me they couldn't eat a thing during their last weeks. I'm like, woahh, I'm in trouble, because I definitely notice that my stomach is growling lots lately. Lol. You look amazing...always. It's so wonderful your body bounced right back after Bear. I know a lot of us are admiring that fact! :) Thanks so much for sharing this post!! Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  18. I reeeally enjoyed reading this post! Sounds like you have a very healthy lifestyle. You look so so amazing after giving birth!! I totally agree that it's not what you do after giving birth but rather while being pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are stunning! :) lovely blog ..i'm your newest follower! yay

    http://missrenaaye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great post! I've lost, in total now, almost 50 pounds, so I can say from the position of being someone that was never naturally thin: walking does SO MUCH FOR YOUR BODY and for weight loss! Walking is low-impact and keeps your heart rate relatively low, which means your body is burning way more fat than it is muscle, so almost everything you burn off while walking is purely fat. I live in Michigan so it's hard to walk a lot in the winter (so I'm usually at the gym 4-5x a week), but my legs look SO GOOD in the summer when I'm able to walk 3-4 times a week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love!